Thursday, January 19, 2012

Oh no she didn't...

With all this political talk, one can't help but sit and ponder the issues that the front runners of the GOP party stand on. The biggest issue with Americans is the economy. That's no surprise because it affects every American, whether black, white, rich, poor, male, or female. However, one issue that interests me is the very controversial issue of same-sex marriage.

First and foremost, let me say that I am a born-again, God-fearing, Southern Baptist at heart, Christian. I believe that I was born in sin, that God sent his Son to die on a cross for those sins so that I could eventually leave this world and enter into His Kingdom and be with Him forever. I believe everything the Holy Bible says and believe that God wrote it through men. That being said, I support Same-sex marriage. I guess I probably need to tell you why.

Well, there is one thing that has always bothered me about this issue. It didn't hit me until like 2 years ago. I was in Columbia visiting Justin, and we were walking to lunch. Unbeknownst to us, we walked straight up in a Gay Parade--rainbows and all. Now, I admit, I felt weird. The one thing that I saw that immediately and completely changed that fear into rage, was on the sidewalk at an intersection. These people, who didn't care what anyone thought of them were walking down the street so that they could be equal to everyone else, had to walk through this intersection. At that intersection, there were cars and trucks parked. The one sign I saw that I will never forget said "GOD HATES HOMOSEXUALS" and "Read the Bible-GOD HATES YOU". My eyes and my heart filled with rage. Did Jesus not stand for love? Is homosexuality-as defined in the Bible-not sin? Am I not born into sin? Wouldn't that mean God hated everyone? See--as I believe, God hates the sin, not the sinner. And, I also believe that all sin is the same in God's eyes. Yeah, society puts degrees on sins. Criminals go to jail for different lengths of time depending on the severity of the crime. But with God, there's only one punishment, and that's eternal separation from Him. And as I read these signs, and saw these people holding up Bibles and screaming this out at the "Gays", I felt embarrassed and mad. Mad at these people who called themselves Christians, would end up on the local evening news for the whole world to see. I teach 7th grade, so I know that it is in our nature to do wrong. And even more so when someone says "No" or disagrees with you. When Christians act like this towards homosexuals and what they do, that gives them even more reason to do it. If we want to change their minds, we can't judge them. We can't tell them that God hates them for being a homosexual and turn around and say "You should believe in God, or you won't go to Heaven." That's contradicting. Homosexuality is a sin. Just like lying, coveting, adultery, and all the other sinful things we do on a daily basis. The only difference between me and others, is that I have forgiveness.

So I do support same-sex marriage. I may not agree with what they do, but who am I to say that they can't? This isn't a Christian nation--as hard as it is to believe. So, you can't expect a nation like ours to run on Christian values. The point is-the best way to reach people is to love them, and in this case, to let them love in return--no matter if you agree or not. And because this is America-you have the right to disagree. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment